Monday, February 4, 2008

Why early-career scientists should review papers

Sometimes when I ask prospective reviewers to review a paper, I hear that they are too inexperienced to review the paper (or some other similar reason). Here is what I told an early-career scientist once.

1) Reviewing papers is something that I believe people should start early in their career. I wouldn't have asked you if I didn't think you could do this.

2) Reviewing papers is good practice for writing and revising your own research papers.

3) I have several other reviewers in mind to review this paper, so your opinion isn't the only one to be considered.

4) Reviewing a paper means that you get to see the paper before it is published. Otherwise, you can't see the paper.

5) Reviewing this paper might give you some ideas for your own research.

6) Reviewing this paper will force you to accelerate your learning on some related topics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home